Following a hiatus since 2019 due to Covid, the St George Cup returns in 2022, to be held in the July school holidays.
The St George Cup is a one-day 6-a-side tournament for teams that play in local association MiniRoos or Junior competitions. The format sees teams playing 3 group games followed by a play-off or semi-final match, with winners of the semi-finals progressing to a grand-final. The St George Cup is designed to give grassroots MiniRoos players an introductory experience to tournament football.
Tournament details follow;
- Date: Tuesday 5 July 2022 (U9 and U10 age grades)
Wednesday 6 July 2022 (U11 and U12 age grades)
- Venue: Poulton Park, South Hurstville (all-weather field)
- Time: 8:30 am first kick-off, 3:30 pm grand final
- Age Grades: Girls U10 and U12, Boys/mixed U9, U10, U11 and U12
- Eligibility: Club teams playing in local association competitions
- Format: 6-a-side (including a goalkeeper)
- Match length: 15 minutes per half, 3-minute half time.
- Matches: Each team plays at least 3 group matches + 1 play-off or semi-final match
- Team size: 6 to 10 players per team
- Entry Fee: $600 including GST per team
Football St George General Manager Phil Brown said;
“The St George Cup provides young players with their first experience of tournament football”.
“It is geared towards teams playing in local association MiniRoos competitions, with each age grade run over one day to limit the travel time and financial cost that can be associated with tournaments that are run over multiple days”.
“With a six-s-side format, it is an opportunity to supplement grassroots leagues, with more touches on the ball, and a competition element to help young players as they transition from MiniRoos to full sided football”.
“Each age grade is limited to 8 teams, split into 2 groups of 4 teams, so don’t hesitate in submitting an expression of interest to play”.
Expressions of interest are called teams to enter the 2022 St George Cup, via the following form;