Dear SGFA Football Community,
As you are aware Football Federation Australia (FFA) this week issued a temporary suspension of all football activities in Australia due to the COVID-19 situation until 14 April (FFA Circular 20-06).
The suspension applies to all sanctioned matches and competitions, including National Premier Leagues, FFA Cup, youth and grassroots football (including MiniRoos and futsal) as well as training and associated football related activities.
SGFA Clubs and or teams may be sanctioned of fined for any breach of this directive.
This is an unprecedented situation that is fluid and fast moving. St George Football Association (SGFA) is working with our State governing body, Football NSW, who is in turn constantly liaising with FFA and relevant Government agencies, and everyone is committed to keeping you informed and up to date in these rapidly changing times.
Following a meeting with Club Presidents last night, SGFA Board confirmed the following will be implemented for season 2020, if the current environment does not worsen over this period:
- Training will recommence from Tuesday, 14 April 2020;
- Round 1 will commence Friday, 1 May 2020.
Commencing the season on this weekend will provide clubs with additional time to prepare and organise club activities whilst importantly allowing a 2-week ‘pre-season’ for participants and teams. It will also avoid further disruption due to school holidays, ANZAC Day and Orthodox Easter weekends.
SGFAs objective in setting the revised competition structure has been to optimise and maximise the playing time/opportunities for all participants as a result of the temporary suspension of football activities. We are delaying the start of the season, not cancelling and therefore until we know the full extent of any potential further disruptions and have received advice from FFA & Football NSW no decision can be made in regards to registration rebates.
To this end SGFA also confirms the following:
- No Finals Series will be played in any competition age group for the 2020 season.
- All age groups will be playing through school holidays and June long weekend.
- No weekend gala days or charity events will be sanctioned (school holiday programs and post season programs can proceed at this stage).
- No Competition team regrades after Round 4 or Non-Comp regrades after Round 7.
- SGFA All-stars match will not be played during the season.
- For wash-out rounds – the round that is lost will be cut, not the final round.
- No State Cup Participation for SGFA Clubs will be sanctioned.
Any subsequent adjustments to the draw as a direct result of further directives by our governing bodies or the government (or due to washouts or fields not being available) will necessitate a reduction in rounds.
SGFA will continue to update its members with any information released from our Governing body as it comes to hand.
To view some Frequently Asked Questions please click here.
We thank you for your patience, cooperation and assistance.
Tony Karahalias, Chairman Craig Kiely, CEO